Based on the soils report, the foundation had to be engineered. Heavily. We opted for a method called “ICF” where after extensive footer work was done, we assemble these styrofoam and plastic “lego brick” type blocks together and then the concrete walls are poured inside. We keep joking that someday with the right crane we could pick this house up and move it wherever we want.
This product is so amazingly cool! The foam serves multiple purposes. On the outside, it protects against water intrusion to the concrete, hopefully limiting any potential water damage to the interior in the future. Concrete goes in the middle. Then the interior foam side serves as the insulation to the house so we don’t need to unroll umpteen numbers of insulation sheets and hang them before drywall. YEAH. Drywall goes directly up on the foam! Plus, it helps with sound dampening so you don’t hear that funky echo in most traditional concrete wall basements. All that concrete showing will be buried when it comes time to back fill. We didn’t want to pay an additional trip charge or two to do it in stages, since the price of concrete is pretty hefty right now.
The interior side must be lined with rebar, in a very particular manner according to the engineer’s specifications. The guys spent a little over a week getting this done in between storms, and it’s starting to take some shape. Super excited! We just passed inspection yesterday and have the all clear to pour concrete, so once this round of snowy weather passes, we hope to get another phase done on Monday.
Now I know I don’t get to play with construction stuff all that often, but can I just say this type of scaffolding is just fun? I had kiddo duty, so I didn’t get to play with the power tools for this phase, and it was a bit cold for my liking but I would have really loved to scale those a time or two. (Tough Mudder training anyone?!) Rumor has it the next pour to do the walls is going to take approximately 41 yards of concrete. That equates to $6,000ish just for the materials, not including the pump truck, man power, etc. Knowing the guys, they guessed low and so mentally I have been adding $500 to whatever quote they give me so it softens the blow.
In other news, we still have no power on site. Luckily we’ve been able to borrow generators to keep work moving right along while we work out the issues. It seems to be an endless circle with the power company and the inspector. We are pretty confident that it is nearly remedied but I really expected the barn to have some lights by now! I’ll take the foundation gains for now!
PS…. I was right about the concrete costs being higher, the total was $7,100 for this round.