The focal point of the room.
The fireplace was supposed to really pop. But when we moved in, it was boring. (I thought it was blah from the get-go even when we were installing it.). We bought a stacked stone concrete form that was supposed to be black. It looked more gray and wasn’t what I wanted.
Given our house maintenance budget is limited month to month, we have to break this up into two projects. Here’s the fireplace project – part 1! We’re focusing on the brick work first. The gray part is the concrete board instead of regular drywall due to the heat this baby puts off. We didn’t have it done in time for it to be mudded by the drywall installers so it has this terrible seam now from where we tried to tie it in. I have plans for a modern shiplap feature but dang that stuff is expensive! So, that will come later.
By the way, this was the first time I’ve ever installed this type of brick. It had some boo-boos and the white drywall behind it was oh so noticeable in the daylight. Plus, globs of glue from my helper ended up everywhere. But anything is fixable.
I love shiny things. Who doesn’t?
Have you ever seen sealed slate? It looks wet and metallic. I kept thinking I wanted to mimic it, but this is concrete. First, I told the husband I wanted to paint the stone. He was not on board. He wanted to just seal it but when I tested that it was still too gray. So, I got an extra piece of the stone and I painted it. Then I set it by the ledge for a few weeks. He came around, eventually. I really wish he’d start trusting me without this step. I bought this spray paint and it was definitely a winner.
Date night at home – $37.
I covered up the furniture, brought out the tarps and paper and taped everything up while kiddo was away for the night at a sleepover. The brick took about five cans of spray paint (it’s five feet tall and seven feet wide at the front). I got the worst headache later because the temps dropped too much to let the fireplace dry while the windows were open. The stone is not totally “black” but it gained depth and character, and it’s perfect! I was also able to hide the glue lines that were visible at the opening of the glass, which originally had this awful white line. The paint at least makes it a little less noticeable.
Next up, Fireplace Project – Part 2.
When the weather warms up, we will install shiplap but not in the traditional pattern. Let’s see if the husband goes along with the plan. Stay tuned!