Barn assembly update, part 3! Things are progressing, although much slower than we anticipated. Nearly every afternoon we’d get high winds or storms, and there’s just something about using power tools up 16′ feet in the air… It just doesn’t mix with lightning.
We were still square after concrete. (Thank you, Jesus!) But then when the trusses went up it look like the barn was a drunken mess. 16′ poles can bend quite a bit. This was due to the boards we had on top of the truss to keep it from bowing during the crane lift. I didn’t get to video it because I had “rope duty” which is basically where I guided one corner from swinging in a circle, but at one point the truss just took me with it because I didn’t weigh enough.
Those suckers were solid, but crooked. So the husband had to shimmy his way up on top and remove the bracer boards and it literally “popped” each time a screw was undone and the truss bounced closer to its intended spot. Little freaky to watch, especially when someone is floating 24′ in the air on a truss that isn’t totally secured in yet. After the trusses were back to where they should be, and the side poles were once again straight, the trusses were secured with five bolts each. ***All lies by the way when they say the bolts don’t need pilot holes.***
As you can see, the front and back trusses are missing. They’re not doubled up, so were considerably lighter weight, so they are being done on our own. Our generous neighbor loaned us a lift, so that saved a LOT of money by omitting from the crane work.
Now that the trusses have been set, we need to finish up a little work on the walls and up next is the roofing and sidewalls!